Friday, September 12, 2008

re-connected

I was a little out of sorts this past week as I spent a couple of days disconnected from my lifeline that I call the Internet. I was at Laity Lodge in Leakey for a staff retreat. One of the most famous features of Laity Lodge (besides the beautiful scenery, the cool, flowing river and the amazing wildlife) is the complete lack of cellphone or Internet service. So, there was no blogging, no twittering, no New York Times, no Washington Post, no live hurricane tracking. I even found myself a little lost working on a sermon. While I enjoyed the quiet peace that allowed me to focus on God's word, I got flustered when I went to compare the text to a different translation, readily available online... only I wasn't online.

What did I learn? Did I learn that I am too dependant upon the interconnected world of the internet and need to spend more time offline and connected to paper and people? No, in fact, I think I am going to upgrade my wireless router so I can work outside.

peace,

will
blog comments powered by Disqus