Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Shack Revisited

I love a little controversy.  It gets people talking.  The Shack is raising a little controversy around the church.  Someone quoted me an unfavorable review the other day, so I thought I would post a number of reviews on the weblog so those who have not read the book can make an informed decision about reading it.

WESLEYAN WISDOM: 'The Shack'—A great take on Wesleyan theology!  - United Methodist Reporter's Donald W. Haynes is critical of some aspects of the book but applauds much of its theology especially in the area of grace.

'Shack' opens doors, but critics call book 'scripturally incorrect'  - Cathy Lynn Grossman from USA Today attempts a balanced piece with quotes from critics and fans of the book.

Fiction for the Faith-Starved - Cindy Crosby at Christianity Today takes a look. Christianity Today is a mainline evangelical magazine.  They tend to be moderately conservative in their views and they have some positive things to say about the book.

Reading in Good Faith - Derek R. Keefe Christianity Today's assistant editor gives some guidance on how to approach the book.

Hank Speaks Out On The Shack - It would be unfair to leave out the one that was quoted to me.  Hank Hanegraaff is "The Bible Answer Man" and clearly would rather you not read the book.

If you have read the book and have thoughts and comments, feel free to post a comment.  If you have not read it, I still recommend it.  Frankly, I think it corrects more incorrect theology than it offers.  If you have not read it and you are concerned about my recommendation, please come and speak to me.

peace,

will



blog comments powered by Disqus