Tuesday, August 30, 2011

And we are back...

Today I am ending my two month, unannounced, self-mandated blog sabbatical. It started around my vacation and I just decided that it needed to continue. I am not exactly sure what brought it about. I didn't really think it through. I just stopped and continued to decide to not start again. Does that make sense? Looking back, I don't think that it was because I didn't have anything to write. In fact, I have many notes in Evernote where I sketched out an idea for a new blog post. I just never finished them or posted them.

This isn't the first time I have stopped blogging but this is really the most intentional I have ever been. I posted my first blog post on July 28, 2004 on my blog at Oak Hill UMC in Austin. I have run in waves of consistency and inconsistency. I think I have finally (took me long enough!) learned something. The idea of writing and posting something on a regular basis with no planned break from it is pretty crazy for a normal person. I think I need to just pick a couple of times of year where I will plan a self-imposed blog sabbatical. If I am correct, the rest of the time will be much more fruitful.

This isn't new. This biblical concept of sabbath and sabbatical tell us that God wants a rhythm for our lives, a rhythm of work and rest. That idea should flow through every part of our lives if we want to be productive in a way that honors God and honors the life and creativity God gives us.

Is there an area in your life that might benefit from some sabbath?

peace,

will


blog comments powered by Disqus